[WikiEN-l] Getting rid of bad fair use

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri May 19 16:53:53 UTC 2006

> On 5/19/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > O RLY? is a copyvio, which weakend our fair use case even further.
>
> Umm how?

I think what is meant is that the O RLY owl (O RLY stamped over a picture of
an owl taken by someone else) infringed on the copyright of the original owl
photographer. And since we weren't doing anything fair-use-wise with respect
to that original photo, we were infringing on their copyright as well.

Which seems logical - otherwise there would be a massive loophole. We could
write O RLY on a non-free map of France, and use it in the France article to
discuss O RLY or whatever...

Steve