[WikiEN-l] Getting rid of bad fair use

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri May 19 06:59:32 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:
> While I respect Brad's opinion very much, we need to be very careful
> that "because I've spoken to Wikimedia's lawyer about it" does not
> become equivalent to "end of discussion". The only question is where,
> and with whom, such discussion should take place. I think wikien-l or
> DRV are good places to start in most cases.

This is the situation I'm getting concerned about here. I don't really
care about the specific image or its subject myself, I stumbled into
this completely by chance, but I am a little disturbed by how much
careful and detailed work went into justifying its inclusion only to be
trumped with completely unsupported "the artist doesn't like it" and
"the Foundation lawyer doesn't like it" assertions. How am I supposed to
know what's valid fair use under these circumstances?