[WikiEN-l] Zero information is preferred to misleading or false information

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Fri May 19 03:40:39 UTC 2006

On May 18, 2006, at 2:48 AM, Steve Bennett wrote:

> If we don't want unsourced material, why have we tolerated it so long?

This could be a change in what's considered acceptable rather than an
eternal law. Early in Wikipedia's development, we took what we could
get. Now that we have a crapload of content, we can set stricter rules.

Think of it like a basketball team. If you absolutely need to have a
basketball team and no one wants to join, you'll take anyone. If
everyone in the school wants to join the basketball team, you have to
set rules and cut people. True, there's a limit to the roster of a
basketball team and no limit to the amount of information Wikipedia
could have, but more importantly there's a minimum in both cases, and
when the minimum is met, you can be more discriminating.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch