[WikiEN-l] Getting rid of bad fair use

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri May 19 01:40:34 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
 > I think I should learn more about 'fair use' - it could be quite
> interesting. I've wondered, for example, whether it's legitimate to use the
> cover of an autobiography (incorporating the subject's face) as the main
> image of an article about the person, when the book itself is discussed in
> passing in the text.

The one I'd like to hear answered myself is whether the desires of the
copyright holder have any bearing on whether an image can be fairly used
- I ran into this issue on
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_talk:Orly.jpg>, wherein an image
that (as far as I can tell) meets fair use criteria for the context in
which it was being used was deleted because the copyright holder
apparently complained about it.