[WikiEN-l] Zero information is preferred to misleading or false information

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed May 17 19:08:53 UTC 2006

Mark Wagner wrote:

>On 5/17/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
>
>>or a "culture of image tagging"
>>that has become fairly effective at searching out and destroying
>>bad uploads.
>>

>I wish.  We're managing to keep the worst of the worst out, but that
>basically means images where the uploader can't be bothered to find
>source information, or where nobody's gotten around to sticking a
>"fair use" tag on it.  The new CSD criteria will help a little with
>the worst abuses of the {{fairuse}} and {{fairusein}} tags, but
>there's still no effective way of getting rid of things like the mess
>at [[Category:Fair use magazine covers]].

I knew there would be somebody naysaying this. :-) I wasn't trying to
declare victory, just observing that, unlike, say, the AfD or userbox
situations, the sourcing/licensing process runs with very little
interference or debate (of course there is plenty of grumbling), and
the rate at which it goes is really only limited by the number of
participants.

By contrast, we don't have an agreed "culture of fair use", and so
there are daily skirmishes over that.

Stan