[WikiEN-l] GFDL lawsuits - who can sue?

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Mon May 15 23:26:39 UTC 2006

G'day Matt,

> On 5/15/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>>Is it illegal to claim you have copyright control over something you
>>do not?  I'm sure there are plently of laws against claiming you
>>*wrote* something you didn't, but if you properly attribute the
>>authors but tack on a false claim of copyright, I don't see how that
>>can be illegal.
>
> I'm not sure what you're meaning here - are you talking about falsely
> claiming that you own the copyright on the material, but attributing
> the authorship correctly?

If it's illegal to claim copyright over something to which you have no
right, then I know a lot of museums, galleries and libraries that will
soon find themselves in very hot water indeed.

Perhaps Anthony meant *knowingly false* claims (i.e. claims made in bad
faith)?

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"