[WikiEN-l] CSD T1

Nick Boalch n.g.boalch at durham.ac.uk
Mon May 15 18:30:17 UTC 2006

Prasad J wrote:
> But then again, Mr.Wales, isn't the term "inflammatory" a subjective
> one? A userbox which seems inflammatory/divise to one user may not
> appear that way to another. An example of such a scenario would be
> when a user named Anwar Saadat declared, using such a template,  his
> opinion that Kashmir should be granted independence. Clearly, this did
> not seem divisive/inflammatory to Saadat who was of the view that he
> was merely expressing his personal feelings on that issue. However a
> Wikipedian named Bhadani took this matter very seriously and accused
> Saadat of committing "treason" against India. Here it is apparent that
> Bhadani (being an Indian and hence, presumably, opposed to the
> separatist movement in Kashmir) obviously considered the userbox to be
> a a divisive/inflammatory one. So the aforementioned adjectives are
> themselves subject to ambguity.

It's been a long-standing tenet of Wikipedia (and, in my view, a crucial
and necessary one) that contributors should leave their political
opinions at the door. Accordingly, any actions designed to divide the
editing community into political factions can be seen as unhelpful.

Frankly it sounds like everyone in the case you mention above needs a
good sound slapping.

Cheers,

N.

--
Nicholas Boalch
School of Modern Languages & Cultures       Tel: +44 (0) 191 334 3456