[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 14 23:51:05 UTC 2006

Prasad J wrote:

>PS-I suggest Sean that you rent a DVD of the Richard Attenborough
>movie "Gandhi". You will find that very often a soft-spoken, elderly
>"half-naked fakir" has more courage and willpower than the most
>decorated military commander. You will also learn that though the
>Indian freedom-fighters may not have retaliated even in the face of
>brutal British suppression, the fact that they stood by their beliefs
>inspite of the sheer physical and mental agony they were put through
>demonstrates how far they were willing to go to bring about the
>downfall of an oppressive Empire, a display of valour equal to and
>perhaps (in some cases) more than that shown by the American troops
>when the latter nation was fighting for it's independence.

Your inconsistencies are showing.  While Gandhi quite rightly supported
non-violence, he also was willing to resist with illegal acts.  He often
engaged in peaceful but illegal marches.  It was also illegal for him to
encourage Indians to produce their own salt without paying the required
British taxes.  In a previous message you referred to the section of the
Indian Penal Code which criminalized homosexual behaviour.  Certainly
two loving people who set out to violate that unjust law are well within
the nonviolent principles that were preached by Gandhi.

Ec