[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Sun May 14 20:11:28 UTC 2006

On May 14, 2006, at 6:05 AM, Prasad J wrote:

> Helping people circumvent the Chinese firewall is tantamount to
> abetting a crime-and thereby unethical, unless a competent
> international body (like the U.N) officially makes a statement to the
> effect that China is a fascist state where citizens are brutally
> oppressed by the Government and denied any human right whatsoever.

I simply cannot understand this standpoint. First off with describing
the UN as "competent", but let's move past that.

The determining factor to you about whether to (non-violently!)
resist an oppressive government isn't whether it is, in fact,
oppressive, but rather whether or not it's officially designated
"oppressive" by the UN?

Did Gandhi wait for the British colonization of India to be
designated "oppressive" by foreigners before he began his resistance?

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch