[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.com
Sun May 14 18:41:28 UTC 2006

Prasad J stated for the record:

> The U.S was not the only country to gain Independence through war....

I am very familiar with the process through which India achieved
independence from Britain.  Note that India was a set of independent
nations that were conquered by Britain that then unified and threw
Britain out ... and a good job it was, too.  The United States, however,
were created as colonies by Britain, then rebelled against their own
countrymen -- not against a foreign conquerer.  I suggest that that
difference is what gives you the tendency to say that government should
be obeyed even when it is killing you and for me to say that government
should be overthrown early and often.

Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed --
which necessarily implies that the governed can withdraw that consent.
See also [[Mandate of Heaven]].

--
 Sean Barrett     | There are four boxes to use in the defense
 sean at epoptic.com | of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.