[WikiEN-l] Should Wikipedia make it clear to users that it is not censored for minors?

Sun May 14 16:26:18 UTC 2006

One idea, as I've suggested before, would be to make a special version which
is censored for minors (with various articles blocked). This version, also,
may not be editable. This would make it more school friendly, as many have a
ban on outside communication (editing surely is a form of communication.)

On 5/14/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:

> Doing this would be common sense. But then, IMHO, so would labelling
> individual pages that actually contained such content.
>
> Steve
>
> On 5/14/06, Prasad J <prasad59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wikipedia has followed a policy whereby it's content is not censored
> > for children. Having said that would it be useful to put a
> > warning/advisory on the website to make it clear to users that though
> > it is legal for them to enter the site, they should be aware that
> > Wikipedia's content is not censored for minors and the latter may come
> > across some sexual or other adult material so it is advisable for them
> > to be careful what they view? As Wikipedia's popularity increases, so
> > do the njmber of kids who access it-mainly for homework help. As a
> > result the chances of young users coming across such material are high
> > so perhaps a warning like this will be for the best? Also there may
> > also be some adults who for various reasons would prefer not  to view
> > such content.

Joe Anderson

[[User:Computerjoe]] on en, fr, de, simple, Meta and Commons.