[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun May 14 12:37:18 UTC 2006

On 14 May 2006 at 00:08, "Prasad J" <prasad59 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As, I said by allowing Chinese Wikipedians (who are probably just kids
> who aren't aware of what exactly their government does to
> "dissidents") will do them more harm than good. You wouldn't be
> breaking any laws, you would just be getting some Chinese teenager
> shot for being a "traitor". America tried to bring democracy to Iraq
> and only succeeded in instigating a civil war.Americans were not put
> on this planet for the express purpose of preserving democracy-why
> don't you give it a rest for a while?

It's interesting that you first proclaim that China is not "some Nazi-
like, fascist regime" (thus invoking [[Godwin's Law]] by making
comparisons with Nazis), but then seem to believe that a Chinese
teenager who exercises free speech is likely to be shot by the
government.

At any rate, I don't think anybody here is suggesting that the
Wikimedia Foundation officially support people in any country
breaking the law or engaging in anti-government activity; Wikimedia /
Wikipedia is committed to its policy of maintaining a neutral point
of view, which precludes taking a stand on political issues.  If
individuals, in and out of China, provide means of evading the
Chinese firewall, that's their own business and their own
responsibility if they should happen to get arrested, shot, or
whatever.

--
== Dan ==