[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun May 14 04:04:42 UTC 2006

On 5/14/06, Prasad J <prasad59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Like I said, the Chinese government probably has it's reasons for
> doing what it does.

Yeah it doesn't want people asking anoying questions such as "why are
we not allowed to ellect a goverment?"

> And even if you do bring down this firewall-do you
> really think the government will just admit defeat?

No. But allowing them to keep it up doesn't help matters.

> As for 1989, could the U.S or any other nation do anything during the  Tien-a-mien
> massacre? No. Because each country has the right to manage it's own
> affairs-even if that may see unfair to us.

"Rights" have no logical basis and thus no position in rational debate.

>Countries don't go out of their way to help each other without there
being something for >them to gain

Historicaly that is incorrect.

>The U.S is not trying to bring democracy to China in the interest
> of goodwill, the former has major geo-political interests in two
> emerging powers (China and India) the Americans are just trying to
> achieve their longterm goals by bringing about a change in the Chinese
> government so that when the U.S tries to better it's ties with that
> nation, it will not be accused of supporting the oppressive Peoples'
> Government. If indeed America wanted to rescue the oppressed why did
> it turn a blind eye to Tibet and (more importantly) the Rwandan
> genocide?

In the first case it didn't have a choice (china can tell pretty much
anyone to get stuffed). In the second there was a UN presence. They
just followed your doctrien of non interfearence.

> Please do not be taken in when the VoA and other agencies
> try to de-stabilize (which is in a way what this will do) the
> government in the (apparent) intention of delivering the Chinese from oppression.

We are not VoA.

>Anyway, even if you do bring down the firewall, they will
> probably have it up again in a jiffy-(the government is hardly likely
> to concede defeat to the Foundation) then would not your efforts have
> gone to waste?

If it wasn't for people prepeared to follow hopeless causes human
history would be very different. I doubt we would have got much beyond
Sumer style city states.

--
geni