[WikiEN-l] CSD T1

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat May 13 20:06:46 UTC 2006

On 5/13/06, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > I think you're wrong that Jimbo has any ultimate power over Wikipedia.
> > Sure, if he wanted to ban someone he'd probably get away with it, but
> > only if the community accepted it.
>
> You might want to reread the banning policy and some recent Arbcom cases.
> The view that Jimbo cannot ban people by fiat or dictate Wikipedia policy is
> a minority one. Those who disagree can fork.

All that you say is true, but being written on a Wikipedia page does
not make it fact.

> Maybe I come off as a Jimbo defender or that I enjoy the situation. In fact,
> I don't have any feelings on it either way. He doesn't interfere with me
> writing the encyclopedia, which is what I'm here to do.
>
> And if it's such a pointless issue, then why does it have to be
> > addressed in the first place?
>

> Because people take it so seriously that they edit war, wheel war, and leave
> the project over it, as incomprehenible to me as that is.

And now that userboxes are banned, there's no more edit warring, wheel
warring, or people leaving the project?

> It's as if the
> result of this battle over userboxes will have any direct impact on the
> quality of the articles. It won't. Whether userboxes stay or not, I really
> wish we would all just let it go and write the fucking encyclopedia already.
> The fact that some people spend so much time on the mailing list trying to
> ensure that they get their way in this shitheap of an "issue" makes me
> wonder what you are all really here to do.
>
> Ryan

I really don't see anyone doing that.  I'm more concerned with people
claiming that Jimbo is unilaterally passing CSD criteria despite a
lack of consensus than I am with what the CSD criteria are.

Anthony