[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat May 13 18:15:17 UTC 2006

On 5/13/06, Prasad J <prasad59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the situation in China is that bad, then why is the U.S developing
> dimplomatic ties with the former?

Money

> Why is China given a UNSC seat?

Historical reasons.

> These are aspects of China's internal affairs-not even international
> bodies like the U.N have the right to intervene.

I don't think anyone here is an international body.

>The Chinese government probably has geo-political concerns about this matter.

Probably who cares?

> Like
> I stated earlier, if you do help Wikipedia-users in that country
> circumvent this block, and they are caught they will probably be dealt
> with very severely.

I suspect they know that.

>And I know about VoA-it's, quite frankly, just a
> propaganda tool. If you think the U.S is trying to get Iranians to
> access blocked sites in the interest of "liberating" them, then you
> are mistaken. America most likely just wants the Iranian people to
> hear Mr.Bush talk about why "rogue states" like theirs should not
> possess "nucular technology".

It is generaly more suptle than that.

> As I said, allowing Chinese users to break the law, is abbetment.

So what? I'm not in china. I could allow french and germans to break
the law simply by putting Mein Kampf online. Should I be prevented
from doing that?

>And it's not the kind of abettment that's justified-the condition in
China is very much >liveable-they are not under some Nazi-like fascist
regime.

No democracy.

>Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the FBI recently admit to tapping
phones of citizens >without legal consent? If that was justified then
so is the Chinese
> governments' policy.

Ad hominem tu quoque

--