[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat May 13 12:34:40 UTC 2006

On 5/13/06, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:
> Erik Moeller wrote:
> > I've written down some thoughts on the problem of distributing IP
> > addresses and anonymization tools a while ago:
> >
> > http://intelligentdesigns.net/Freedom_Tools
>
> That page does not consider the possibility that circumventing the
> censorship may be illegal in the affected countries. Of course /you/
> think you're in the right because you "know" that censorship is wrong,
> but you're nevertheless encouraging people to commit a crime in their
> country, which itself may be illegal or at least immoral.
>
> Timwi

A group of people got together and decided to oppress another group of
people.  Just because the former group is large and powerful and calls
itself a country doesn't negate the fact that I have a right and to
some extent a duty to assist that oppressed group.

As for the legality of the situation, I'm not going to attempt a
guess.  For my own personal situation I take some comfort in the fact
that the group of people who got together to oppress the group of
which I'm a member tend to respect our freedom of speech.  But YMMV.

"In capitalism, people exploit people.  In communism, it's the other
way around."

Anthony