[WikiEN-l] OT (was Re: Are these userbox templates NPOV?)

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Fri May 12 21:59:55 UTC 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Prasad J wrote:

> As for the "Nazi regime",
> kindly take the time to observe how U.S Marines in Abu Ghraib are
> dragging leashed Muslim men around the place like animals, are using
> attack dogs to torment them, are electrocuting them, and are even
> going so far as to make them form "naked pyramids".

That's the Army there, not the Marines.

> Now these
> activities are eerily reminiscent of what Nazi S.S Guards did to Jews
> in concentration camps. Admittedly, the Nazi atrocities occured on a
> much larger scale but the pain and humiliation suffered by the victims
> is the same.

The Nazis attempted to exterminate or enslave everyone of non-German
descent living in Europe. It's not even the same thing and it makes
you look like a hyperbolic, irrational fanatic for saying so. I don't
support the Administration's policies, but the best way to oppose the
administration is by making rational arguments against their
policies--not by making bad comparisons to the Nazis.

> As to complaints of  prisoners at Guatanamo Bay being put through some
> sort of "sensory deprivation"(again notice the photographs of
> prisoners being blindfolded,earmuffed,gagged,and face-masked) and
> other innovative "interrogation techniques" the spokesperson chose to
> remain silent. So you will forgive me if I draw a few parallels
> between such atrocities and those committed by the Nazis (albeit,as I
> said, on a much,much larger scale).

Yes, because all the Nazis did was put the Jews into sensory
deprivation and ask them questions to try and prevent terrorist attacks.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch