[WikiEN-l] What. The. Fuck??!?

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Fri May 12 17:56:10 UTC 2006

On 5/12/06, Ben McIlwain <cydeweys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Gallagher wrote:
> >Ben wrote:
> >> I've heard a lot of people claiming that it's offensive but I'm just not
> >> seeing it.  How is it offensive?  All of the Christians I personally
> >> know who I've pointed it out to thought it was either funny or annoying,
> >> but not offensive.
> >
> > Mocking the cross?  You can't see what's wrong with that?
>
> I don't worship icons, so no, I really don't see what's wrong with it.
<snip>
> Ben McIlwain ("Cyde Weys")

I don't worship icons either. I'm completely atheist, but I would
never DREAM of mocking it. It's simple human decency not to mock
something that many people love, and worship. It is, at the very
least, a massive breach of WP:CIVIL.

And even if I'm not religious and don't get personally offended by
mockery of religious symbols, there are many things that if mocked I
would get enourmously offended by. For instance, I'm swedish, and if
anyone says a cross word about Anna Lindh (our Minister of Foreign
Affairs, who were murdered a couple of years ago), I'm gonna punch him
out. I'm sure americans say the same thing about, for instance, the
people who died on 9/11. I'm sure you have a number of things to that
you wouldn't want mocked, but that other people may not care about.

Also, as Mark Gallagher said, there is a HUGE difference between this
and the Mohammad Cartoons. Those were for an article on a very notable
event that demanded that the images were displayed for context. You
were mocking the worlds largest religion, just for fun.

We're talking simple human decency and civility here. You need to apologise.

--Oskar