[WikiEN-l] Baidupedia (the downside to free content?)

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 12 17:39:47 UTC 2006

Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:
 > Anthony DiPierro wrote:
 >
> Anyone know if they use the actual content from Wikipedia or not?
 >
 > If they are and they aren't citing authors, aren't they in breach of the
 > GFDL.  And if that's the case, can we sue?  Please?

Please, let's not. I see it as a good thing that people can access and read Wikipedia articles in some way, whether or not the site is GFDL-compliant. Isn't that why we contribute our time here, to have people read our articles? The most basic freedom for information is the freedom to access and read it. Baidupedia is better than nothing for technically-unsavvy people in mainland China.

-- Matt