[WikiEN-l] What. The. Fuck??!?

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Fri May 12 15:49:34 UTC 2006

On 5/12/06, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cyde brings up a very very good point. What your religion may perceive
> as "mocking" and "offensive", my religion, or Cyde's, may not. I'm
> sorry but I fail to see how this is different than the Muhammed
> Cartoons: the argument there is "omg it's blasphemous and
> disrespectful to show muhammed" and here it's "omg it's blashphemous
> and disrespectful to make a cross spin around".

It's extremely well known that any depiction of Mohammed is offensive.
I've never heard of anyone specifically referring to cross spinning as
offensive.

There are other differences: I don't believe the cartoons were
originally meant to offend Muslims as the primary goal, and certainly
their republication in places like Wikipedia wasn't. However I imagine
that the whole incident with the Christian userbox was intended to
annoy/offend/irritate its users, ie. Christians.

Steve