[WikiEN-l] Block messages

Ilmari Karonen nospam at vyznev.net
Fri May 12 14:02:28 UTC 2006

Guillaume Paumier wrote:
> It would be even better to modify one's monobook.js to add usual block
> messages. It's possible to add buttons with usual delete messages on
> Your_page&action=delete pages, so I think it's possible to add some buttons
> on [[Special:Blockip/Your_vandal]].
>
> Thus, you could add buttons which enter usual messages in plain language,
> even with a wiki link to [[WP:3RR]] for example, just by clicking.

Firefox at least will helpfully offer to autocomplete your block
messages based on what you've entered earlier.  So you only need to type
  each block message once, and you can then reuse it as often as you like.

Also, a little-known and often misunderstood feature of block messages
is that templates included in them are expanded when the message is
shown to the blocked user (but not in the block log).  I'm not sure how
many templates designed for this already exist, since they don't seem to
be categorized in any way, but at least {{blocked proxy}} has been used
like this.

--
Ilmari Karonen