[WikiEN-l] Reporting/dealing with whitewashing/smearing

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Fri May 12 13:09:37 UTC 2006

I think the principles in Wikipedia:Autobiography could be elaborated
on to express a policy. For example, Wal-Mart has recently hired a
team of public relations experts, organized as a response team (a
"war room"). Our article is an obvious target, especially when we
have editors eagerly adding negative information. I think if they
identified themselves and commented on the talk page we could have no
objection. Surreptitiously editing the article, or edit warring would
be very obnoxious. But keep in mind, they are entitled to object
strongly, even to legal redress, in the case of libel.

The more commen public relations effort is to polish up the positive
aspects of a person or business, create a buzz, etc. Often that is
precisely the behavior we see in autobiographical entries by self-
published authors.

Fred