[WikiEN-l] Reporting/dealing with whitewashing/smearing

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri May 12 03:16:14 UTC 2006

G'day Cunct,

> What is the policy (or information about the policy) on dealing
> with/reporting whitewashing or smearing by interested/paid parties? An
> example was
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Congressional_Staffer_Edits but it
> doesn't seem to be under any category... is there any kind of policy? Should
> there be?

Good Lord, no.  We have more than enough policy.

However, this could be said to fall under our NPOV principle.  And
persistently violating NPOV when you know what you're doing is wrong but
insist on doing it anyway is disruption, which comes under the blocking
policy.

> I almost don't want to justify the practice with a defense, because then it
> sets up a game/conflict for people to "win" at by "beating" Wikipedia. But
> it would be foolish to ignore what will be more prevalent as Wikipedia
> grows.

We've dealt with POV-pushing from Scientologists, LaRouchites, physics
crackpots, right-wing loonies, left-wing loonies, gunzel anoraks, SEO
proponents, and all kinds of other tragic, deformed souls.  I don't see
that Congressional staffers are any different.

<snip/>

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"