[WikiEN-l] What. The. Fuck??!?

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri May 12 03:11:35 UTC 2006

G'day Ilmari,

> Ben McIlwain wrote:
>
>>I didn't alter anyone's userpage.  I only altered one single template.
>>If you don't want your userpage to change in appearance then keep it in
>>your userspace and don't grab all of your content from templates.
>
> You do realize that the same could just as well be said of articles.
>
> Yes, templates are attractive vandalism targets in that they can provide
> lots of disruption for very little effort.  That is *not* an excuse for
> deliberately disrupting them just to show that you can.

I agree entirely.  Ben and Greg displayed a remarkable lack of maturity
in this issue.  I can see how they got a bit carried away after some
idiot changed "is Christian" to "claims to be Christian", but deliberate
could-be-perceived-as-vandalism[0], complete with rotating crucifix[1],
was quite disgusting behaviour for an admin.

I'll give Greg a comparative pass on this one, since a) he's not an
admin, b) he's not as controversial as User:Cyde.  However, he *is* a
well-respected and otherwise excellent Wikipedian, and it's just sad to
see him stoop to something like this.

[0] I'll leave the wikilawyering and the "technically, this violates
     section x, paragraph a, subparagraph ii" to someone else, but I've
     got to sneak the word "vandalism" in *somehwere*.

[1] I know what Cyde was aiming for: "seeing from all angles", etc.  But
     the end result was simply offensive.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"