[WikiEN-l] Category:Criminals // Category:American Criminals

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Thu May 11 19:59:02 UTC 2006

On 5/11/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> Sometimes I wonder whether categories were ever a good idea to begin
> with.  They were certainly implemented horribly.

I have my own reservations, but mostly because they are used to both
categorise and tag. "Countries in Europe" is a category, in everyday
parlance. "Living person" or "Scientology" are not - they're tags, or
descriptors, or classification codes but you would never browse
"living persons", and you would be hard pressed to define the edges of
what should or shouldn't go into "Scientology".

OTOH, what would be great about categories would be being notified
when new items were added to them - but that doesn't seem to be
possible.

Steve