[WikiEN-l] OT (was Re: Are these userbox templates NPOV?)

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Thu May 11 17:18:46 UTC 2006

On 5/11/06, Prasad J <prasad59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Might I remind you that Russia, Canada and China are all larger than
> the U.S in terms of land area? And America's population is nowhere
> near that of China or India. So your arguement about America being
> large does have certain loopholes. And as for people being against the
> U.S, though Guatanamo Bay, Abu Ghraib and the war in Iraq do have a
> lot to do with it most of it comes from personal experiences. The
> following is a conversation that took place between a Muslim classmate
> of mine-a 17 year-old A-grade student who is the son of a succesful
> executive- (M) and a security guard (US) at O'Hare International
> Airport,Chicago.

Probably not representative. US international airports are without
doubt some of the least pleasant places on earth. I had a similar
experience at LAX, and I'm caucasian, coming from Australia
(supposedly a close ally), and with a plane ticket out of there *and*
this was pre-9/11. They asked me the name of my first grade teacher to
see if I looked like I was making it up!

But I'm sure most Americans agree that these airports are just awful,
awful places to be. Announcements every 2 minutes, without the word
"please", telling you not to leave luggage unattended etc, not to
loiter etc.

But anyway.

Steve