[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia in the pop culture

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Thu May 11 12:35:24 UTC 2006

I'm running into an increasing number of mentions of Wikipedia in pop-
cultural contexts these days.  Two recent examples:

In Simpsons Comics #117, there is this exchange:

Lisa: Say, aren't you Hank Scorpio, the criminal mastermind?

Hank: I prefer the term "Entrepreneurial mastermind", but yes, that's
me.

Lisa: You blackmailed the federal government into giving you control
of the American east coast.  Now everyone thinks you are dead.

Hank: Aren't you adorable?  We're all about to be shot as escaped
prisoners, and you're reciting my entry in the Wikipedia.  I hope
you're proud of her, Homer.  She's great!

The other was on a recent Colbert Report on Comedy Central, where
Colbert was talking about Sigmund Freud, and proudly announced that
he had prepared for the segment by reading Freud's *entire* Wikipedia
entry, even the accurate parts.

I think Wikipedia has achieved the pop-cultural status of being
suitable for mention in humorous (and not entirely flattering)
contexts; it seems to have a connotation something like "I've
achieved a shallow, superficial, and quite likely inaccurate
understanding of a subject the lazy way... and I'm damn proud of it!"

--
== Dan ==