[WikiEN-l] Verifiability equating to notability

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Wed May 10 14:40:58 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 5/10/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>> It's just as easy to say that "being a city isn't notable" or "being a
>> high school district isn't notable" or "being a Pokemon card isn't
>> notable" or "being a Korean children's science-fiction film directed
>> by Kim Cheong-gi and starring Shim Hyung-rae isn't notable" or "being
>> a seiyū isn't notable".
>
> Being a Pokemon card produced by the official makers of Pokemon is
> pretty notable.

Well, in that case, I'll start adding individual MTG cards. And here I
am thinking that "notability" had some meaning of "significance" or
"rarity"...

> In any case, there is widespread support for the idea
> that certain types of entities escape notability criteria and are
> included for completeness.  Less support for actually formalising what
> those entities might be :)
>
>> Click on random page a few times.  I don't see an indisputable claim
>> to notability for any of the articles I managed to hit.
>
> Heh. "Random page" has never been used as a sign of what a good page
> *should* be.

It's a great way to find things to prod/speedy though.

>> I don't know of a poll to determine if your speculation as to the
>> Wikipedia editors opinion is correct.  In fact, I think a significant
>> portion of Wikipedia editors *does* feel that we should have a
>> Wikipedia article on all chemists.  Not that I think inclusion in
>> Wikipedia should be decided by a poll in the first place.
>>
>> I'd bet there are less than a million chemists in the world.  Not that
>> it matters, I don't see any reason why being in a group which consists
>> of "millions" does not amount to notability.
>
> I'm confused by what is meant by "chemist" here. To me it normally
> means a pharmacist - someone who has a pharmacology degree and sells
> headache pills to customers. If you're talking about published
> academics, that's different...

A chemist would be a person who practices chemistry; a pharmacist is
someone who practices pharmacy.