[WikiEN-l] We need a policy against vote-stacking

Molu loom91 at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 06:18:32 UTC 2006

But the discretion to be exercised now is regarding whether consensus has been formed. The admin decides whether there exists a consensus to delete while accepting that counting votes is not the only way to determine consensus. But what is being proposed is that in the absence of established policies closing admins be allowed to delete or not delete based on their personal views regarding the matter while ignoring consensus if they choose to. I find that to be entirely unacceptable. Let's not make a holy thing out of a necessary evil.

  Molu

  On Tue, 09 May 2006 09:53:50 +0100, Steve Block wrote:

>> On 5/6/06, Steve Bennett wrote:
>>> Why not just scrap the concept of a vote entirely, and make it more
>>> like a judge deciding a case.
>>
>> Because then the judges (closing admins) have discretionary power,
>> and in that situation, decisions are made by admin aristocracy, not
>> consensus.
>>
>> I'm willing to accept a degree of admin aristocracy, so I consider
>> this worth consideration. But we should be under no illusions about
>> what's going on here.
>>

>But that's the process as stands now, in that per [[Wikipedia:Deletion
>guidelines for administrators]], "Administrators necessarily must use
t>heir best judgment, attempting to be as impartial as is possible for a