[WikiEN-l] Admins without validated e-mail addresses (was: RfAs)

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Wed May 10 06:18:17 UTC 2006

On 5/10/06, Ilmari Karonen <nospam at vyznev.net> wrote:
> I believe it says in some guideline (if not policy) or other that admins
> should be contactable by e-mail.  Even if it's not mandatory, it's still
> a damn good idea for a number of reasons.
>
> If you're on RfA and haven't validated your address, go do it.  It'll
> take you less then five minutes.  If you're lazy or stubborn enough not
> to do it after you've been told about it, I'd say that in itself sends a
> rather strong signal about your suitability for adminship.

I certainly agree that admins should validate their email addresses.
If a candidate hadn't done that, I would even suggest that they do.
But voting against them for not having done so is just an example of
using RfAs to exert power over candidates. In the normal course of
events, there is no power you could exert over either admin or
non-admin who hadn't validated. Only in that moment of vulnerability
do you have a stick to whack him with, and that technicality is a
pretty minor one to whack him for.

Steve