[WikiEN-l] Copyright question - illegal publications

zero 0000 nought_0000 at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 02:04:17 UTC 2006

I'm hoping someone here can help non a copyright issue.

I want to post a translation (probably on Wikiquote) of
an article of just over a page that appeared in an illegal
newspaper in 1943.  There is no author given and the
underground organization which published the newspaper
disbanded in 1948.   The article has substantial historical
importance.

Can I do it legally?  I can't see any explicit clauses in
copyright legislation that would exclude illegal publications
from copyright protection, but it is the sort of thing that
might have come up in court cases.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks, Zero.