[WikiEN-l] We need a policy against vote-stacking

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue May 9 08:22:00 UTC 2006

G'day Steve,

<many snips/>

> deletion. It's exactly the same issue as with RfA - I believe we
> should as a group decide how many edits are required for an admin, and
> set that in stone. Then for any individual candidate, we can simply
> check that he meets all the requirements.

Oh, good grief, no.  There was a user a while back --- unlike most of my
examples, I actually remember his name, but 'twouldn't be right to
reveal it[0] --- who made a complete nuisance of himself on a particular
article that was very topical at the time.

He started POV-pushing on Article X, attempting to make it a hagiography
of its subject.  Then he began inserting unnecessary detail into the
article, making an already unmanageable article balloon out to a size
that can best be described as "ghastly".  Then, after fighting with
other editors for some time, he proposed the article on FAC.  When his
proposal was rejected, he told the other editors that they had no choice
but to accede to his wishes, because he'd asked a trusted family member
to review the case, and the family member agreed with him.

Then he ran for RfA.  He was opposed on many counts, including general
immaturity, low-level creepiness, having an huge edits-per-article
average (because of his obsession with Article X), and having a really
annoying way of using talkpages (coloured text and a big .sig).  He
attempted to argue that, since he was a "Wikipedian in good standing",
because he had the minimum cited edit count at the time, we owed him
adminship.  He even complained to Jimbo about it.

As long as we persist in expecting admins to have the support of the
community, there should be a way for us to have input on candidates who
may meet all the requirements but who nevertheless should not be allowed
to ever touch those extra buttons.

[0] I've already had a go at two people on the list this week, that's
     bad enough --- at least both occurrences were to their face.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"