[WikiEN-l] Criticism sections on bios of living people

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon May 8 11:10:11 UTC 2006

On 5/7/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:
> As for Anthony's point that we should focus on facts rather than
> reactions, I agree; however, the facts, the interpretation, and their
> relevance are all often in dispute. If you don't actually cite the
> people making the claims directly in those cases, policies like NPOV,
> verifiability, and "Original Research" will quickly be invoked by
> those who'd rather not like to see certain facts mentioned in the
> article at all. We turn opinions into facts by attributing them.

True.  But at the same time, while I'm sure one could find 100 quotes
from celebrities who have called Howard Stern "disgusting", I'm not
sure any of them deserve mention in his Wikipedia article - maybe in
Wikiquote (*).

That said, I'm not sure where to draw the line.  I guess I'm saying
that quoting a pure opinion, where that opinion doesn't naturally lead
in to some pertinent fact, tends to be extraneous.  But I'd have to
think about that more.

(*) Maybe putting them all in Wikiquote and then mentioning that many
celebrities have called him "disgusting", pointing to Wikiquote as the
source, might make sense.

Anthony