[WikiEN-l] Apology

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Mon May 8 04:16:24 UTC 2006

On 5 May 2006 at 20:23, <julieharding1 at charter.net> wrote:
[long line fixed]
> Thank you for your formal apology.  I am to assume that someone
> spoke to you about your behavior.  Right now I am enraged.  I just
> spent over six hours editing the front page issues for you guys
> and for some reason, your program wouldn't take it from me.
> Wikipedia is supposed to be the encyclopedia that anyone can edit?
>  Well, I just edited a whole section for you!  Goodnight
>  ----redhawk1972

I'm not sure what, exactly, you were trying to edit (the front page
itself is protected against edits because it would be a particularly
big vandalism target if it were freely editable), but it doesn't seem
like a good idea to spend six hours working on a single set of edits
without ever saving them; there are many ways it could go wrong
(including some with no fault from Wikipedia, like a computer crash
or power failure at your end).  There is also likely to be an edit
conflict if anybody else edits the article in the interim, which
might be why your edits failed to save (it's hard to tell from the
sketchy description you gave).  It's better to make small edits, one
section at a time, saving each one separately.

I looked up the username you gave above, and found this edit history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Redhawk1972

As of when I checked, it had only one edit, which seemed to be a rant
with an edit summary that looked like a death threat ("Drop this one
and you're Dead!").  You might want to tone down your rhetoric a bit
if you don't want trouble.

--
== Dan ==