[WikiEN-l] Verifiability equating to notability

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun May 7 14:57:04 UTC 2006

On 4 May 2006 at 18:15, "Anthony DiPierro" <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

> I certainly don't know modern art when I see it.  In fact, I think
> there is a lot of disagreement over what modern art is.

I have a vague, stereotypical, and probably decades out-of-date
impression of what "modern art" is, but I have no clue whether it has
anything in common with what the art world actually uses the term to
refer to, if they actually still use the term at all.

I generally think that giving labels like "modern" to things is a bad
idea, since such a label is intrinsically relative.  If some
particular type of art was labeled "modern art" in the 1950s, should
it still carry that label 50 years later when it's not quite so
modern?  Is the sort of art the avant-garde is making now
"postmodern"?  What comes *after* postmodern to reflect the
generation after *that*?  Post-postmodern?  And then there's "retro",
reflecting art, culture, and design that intentionally goes back to
an earlier era... but you've got a lot of earlier eras to choose
from, so that doesn't really designate a particular one.

--
== Dan ==