[WikiEN-l] We need a policy against vote-stacking

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Sat May 6 02:15:24 UTC 2006

On 5/5/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
> This approach I don't agree with. Everytime we cite the fact that
> Wikipedia has 1,000,000 articles, we ascribe value to each of those
> articles. Every time we allow crud that we would be ashamed to speak
> of to remain in the article, we diminish the value of those articles.

Hmm.  I'd doubt many people in the world believe we've reached a
million articles without handling a lot of trivia.  Do you really
think that anyone would be surprised by the fact that a good portion
of that million are on such subjects?

> For exactly the same reason I think it is very poor for us to have
> 900,000 (or more?) inactive user accounts. They don't harm us directly
> - but they do vastly misrepresent the actual state of the project.

I don't think we tend to boast about our numbers of user accounts, do
we?  User accounts unused for <x> months and with no undeleted
contributions should be pruned though, I think, simply from a
manageability point of view.

I've noticed people mentioning our active user count and our admin
count more often than the total.

-Matt