[WikiEN-l] We need to recognize that advocating is a basic right

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Fri May 5 15:07:45 UTC 2006

geni wrote:

> On 5/5/06, Rob Church <robchur at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "PR photo" implies non-free licencing, which means that it's not
>> acceptable on Commons, our free media repo. So in this case, and in
>> others, no image *is* better.
> I assumed that people were releasing them under a free licence (it
> might be a logical course of action for politicians although not so
> much for celebrities).

Actually, you would have thought that any given celebrity of any rank or
stripe would rather that there was a freely-available high-quality
controlled-source picture being used for them than an opportunistic snap
taken during some sweaty ruck at a premiere with inadequate lighting and
extraneous limbs intruding from strange angles...or maybe a paparazzi-style
"candid" image of them in some embarrassing pose.

Obviously we wouldn't necessarily use the latter if it proved too salacious
but if it were the best available free-licence picture you'd likely be able
to build some sort of reasonable argument...

HTH HAND
--
Phil