[WikiEN-l] We need a policy against vote-stacking

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri May 5 10:30:27 UTC 2006

G'day Phil B,

> Please provide links to AfD discussions which contain reasonable arguments
> like those suggested which are not then countered by piled-on "nn, delete"
> entries; even better would be a "nn, delete" replaced with a "keep" as a
> result of listening to reason. I would like to sooth my tortured soul with a
> bit of good-natured discussion...

I've already provided a link:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Jonathan_Smith_%28games_programmer%29>

Joffa Smith's article is nominated for deletion because his full name
doesn't get many Google hits.  We see a bunch of regrettable pile-on "nn
d"-type comments, plus a weird (and bloody stupid) "delete, self-nom"
(!).  Then we get some experts appearing, one of which is an anon but
who obviously knows what he's talking about, and they say "but he won
the Nobel Prize, Anthony!"

To this day I don't know the numerical tally.  There's no reason why I
shouldn't, it's a short discussion and it would be easy enough to count
the bold words.  If feeling adventurous, I could even write a script to
do it.  But *it doesn't matter*, so I've never got 'round to it.  I
suspect, however, that if we had a silly vote-counting sod attempt to
close it, they may well be tempted to close it as a "delete" because of
some irrelevant magic number (50%, 60%, 66%, 67%, 70%, 90%, whatever).
Fortunately, our admins are *not*, in the main, silly vote-counting
sods, and the Use Common Sense movement hasn't yet been wiped out.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"