[WikiEN-l] Verifiability equating to notability

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu May 4 19:02:03 UTC 2006

G'day Anthony,

> On 5/3/06, Gallagher Mark George
> <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:
>> No, it has to *assert* the notability of its subject.  When
>> clearing up CAT:CSD I see a lot of speedy taggings where the tagger
>> simply figured "sure, there's an assertion of notability there, but
>> I don't think it's good enough".  Wrong.
>
> How does an article go about asserting the notability of its subject?
>  What would be an example of an article which asserts notability but
> doesn't establish it?

An article saying "Joe Bloggs is a man from Golbourn" would be speedy
deletable, because it doesn't assert that Joe Bloggs is in any way
notable (it's also obnoxious, because it just assumes that everyone
knows where Golbourn is).

"Joe Bloggs is a man from Golbourn who won the Nobel Prize in partying
down!" would be speedy deletable, because it's nonsense.

"Joe Bloggs is a man from Golbourn who won the Nobel Prize in physics."
would be sufficient, in my book.

"He won the nobel prize!" under the title "Joe Bloggs" would be speedy
deletable because of a lack of context and a desire to see how Jimbo
would react.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"