[WikiEN-l] Cruft

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed May 3 21:14:02 UTC 2006

"Philip Welch" wrote

> Exactly. People who become Wikipedians should learn the jargon, and
> it's quite clear that at AfD, the opinions of *wikipedians* are the
> opinions that matter. Not the opinions of every anonymous contributor
> who comes in a vain ballot-stuffing attempt.

Ah, cruft is some sort of shibboleth then.  You don't know what cruft is,
you must be an outsider.

> The
> fact that large numbers of people don't know that only reiterates my
> point that we should educate Wikipedians about the jargon.

Oh, but then it turns out that far to many insiders are really outsiders.

> Once again: you deride "myopic rude jargon-using people" for their
> incivility, not realizing that calling people "myopic" and "rude"
> just because they use technical jargon is in itself uncivil.

People who draw these kinds of distinctions about other editors of Wikipedia
are certainly myopic.  You can be a very good Wikipedian without succumbing
to the lure of jargon.  As for the hat, wear it only if it fits.  I happen
to think your whole line of argument fits into what Wikipedia is not.

Charles