[WikiEN-l] [Mediawiki-l] Upload by default to Commons?

Filip Maljkovic dungodung at gmail.com
Wed May 3 15:35:14 UTC 2006

Rob Church wrote:
> [snip]
> Now for the relevant bit. It's been discussed before, a little, and I
> touched upon it in a recent discussion sparked off from the newbie's
> questions...but it could be feasible for us to replace our
> Special:Upload pages with something a bit more intelligent. Making use
> of the licencing dropdowns, we could, I think, redirect free images to
> Commons in a seamless fashion (after checking existence and providing
> a courteous note to the user, of course).

That's a brilliant idea. I'd really like to see it implemented. Not only
for English Wikipedia, but for all Wikimedia projects.
> This has advantages and disadvantages. The user's upload experience is
> simple, and the image can be used as before without trouble. On the
> other hand, deliberate or accidental mis-selection of the licence
> [cw]ould result in an influx of non-free materials arriving on the
> Commons.

Even though I'm not a Commons expert, I can deduce that Commons too has
a problem with wrong licenses, hence some of the deletion.
> [snip]
Filip

P.S. Sorry for doubleposts... I used Reply to all