[WikiEN-l] Upload by default to Commons?

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Wed May 3 16:20:40 UTC 2006

On 03/05/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> There are not many who upload in bad faith, and those who do tend
> to weed themselves out by getting blocked. The usual case is
> ignorance; while one doesn't need to know much to add a legit
> sentence, valid uploads require more knowledge, including a basic
> familiarity with the legalities. Even after simplifying the
> legalese down via templates, and providing lots of links and advice
> on the upload pages, we still get hundreds of bad uploads per day,
> many of which will require admin cycles to clean up. It doesn't
> help that many uploaders think they know about image copyrights
> already, so there is a lot of unlearning for them to do.

Maybe we need a green line and a red line like with customs at airports.

Do you own this image? Did you take it, or make it with your own bare
hands, starting from scratch? Are you willing to release virtually all
rights to it, and let others sell, modify or otherwise abuse it?
Green line for you!

All others, line up over here, we'll deal with you next week.

Steve