[WikiEN-l] Upload by default to Commons?

Gallagher Mark George m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed May 3 15:37:18 UTC 2006

G'day Kirill,

> On 5/3/06, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> free images
> problem. Can
> > >
> > > Aside from the propensity of random people to tag 15th-century
> > > paintings with {{nsd}}? ;-)
> > >

> > If the copy of the painting was made within the uk it is quite
> posible> it is under copyright. Or at least the copyright status
> would be
> > rather complex.
>
> Curious.  I was under the impression that Bridgeman v Corel drew no
> distinction based on where the copy was made (if the copy is accurate,
> how could you tell?), and that _any_ (two-dimensional, slavish, etc.)
> reproduction of a PD artwork was considered PD under US law.

I agree: if a copy is accurate, you couldn't tell.  BUT, that's American law.  If a copy is made in the UK (say by a museum), and the uploader is also a Yukian, could he be held liable by Yukian courts for copyright infringement if the museum claims copyright?

I don't know --- IANAL, IJPOOTV.

--
MarkGallagher