[WikiEN-l] Verifiability equating to notability

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed May 3 15:09:43 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/05/06, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Someone?
> >
> > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cleanup_by_month
> >
> > 15000 articles.
> >
> > Looks like anyone who might be that someone has enough work on their
> > hands already.
>
> Yep. But the vast majority of those articles are good enough that
> they're better than a conspicuous hole where they used to be. I don't
> object to us aiming for higher standards, but I do object to us nuking
> anything that's trying to get there - if slowly.
>
> Steve

For my part I think there's a bare minimum of effort which the authors
of an article need to perform before they can expect someone else to
fix things.  Verifiability - pointing to a source where someone can
find out more information, is a big part of that bare minimum of
effort.

Of course not everyone knows about verifiability, so you should
generally give them a chance to correct their own mistake first unless
it's plainly obvious they are simply abusing the system.

Anthony