[WikiEN-l] Cruft

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Wed May 3 14:44:32 UTC 2006

On 03/05/06, maru dubshinki <marudubshinki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd have to say G-man is an abberation. There is no well-defined or
> accepted reference system for citing games as references, as opposed
> to articles sourced from books and movies (take a look at
> [[Palpatine]]). How would you even do it? If a game is broken down
> into well-defined levels or segments, it is possible, but it is still
> difficult, and suppose it's a more free-form game than a rigid RPG or

At first glance, that article has a lot of OR in it. It would be a
great article if at least we could point to bulletin boards, forums,
wikis, or whatever proving that people (other than Wikipedians) have
spent time analysing this character and trying to determine who he is
or what he does. Then the article could be more on the social
phenomenon. There are occasional fleeting references to "the half life
community" or "fans of the game", but surprisingly, no links can be
given to substantiate that these debates have actually taken place.

In a word: this article is a perfect example of where blogs and forums
*should* be cited, if only as primary sources.

Citing the game itself is probably the wrong direction to be going here.

Steve