[WikiEN-l] Upload by default to Commons?

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Wed May 3 14:44:25 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or perhaps I'm missing something - is there any reason I should ever
> want to upload something to EN, other than fair use?

Any number of practical considerations, especially when we're dealing
with newer users:

1. Most en: contributors don't have a Commons account; until single
login is actually implemented, having to sign up for a new account
will just be an annoyance.
1.a. Even if users _do_ sign up to Commons, they are unlikely to check
their talk pages there on a regular basis, which would make contacting
them far more difficult.
2. Images uploaded to Commons with what turns out to be an unsuitable
license are likely to be deleted out of hand, with no notification to
the user; such images on en: can be retagged as fair use if needed.
3. Conversely, Commons does not (at present) have the infrastructure
in place to deal with the flood of new uploads we see on en:, making
it more likely that non-free images will slip through the cracks.

Having a more streamlined process for migrating free images to Commons
would be better, in my opinion; but even that might not be possible
with the increasingly stringent demands being placed on image tagging.

Kirill Lokshin