[WikiEN-l] Cruft

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Tue May 2 21:00:49 UTC 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Kelly Martin wrote:

>>> In my opinion calling content contributed in good faith by our
>>> valued
>>> contributors "cruft" is incivil.  It sends the clear message that
>>> their contributions, and by extension themselves, are valueless.
>>> Why
>>> can't you just say "Not suitable for inclusion in the
>>> encyclopedia due
>>> to limited scope of interest"?
>>
>> My understanding was that "not suitable for inclusion in the
>> encyclopedia due to limited scope of interest" was the definition of
>> "cruft".
>
> And "shit" can mean "fecal matter" or just "stuff I don't like".
> Doesn't mean calling something "shit" when you really mean "stuff I
> don't like" isn't incivil.

My point was that many people, including (apparently) myself and the
person who started this entire thread, never knew that "cruft" had
any meaning *apart from* "not suitable for inclusion in the
encyclopedia due to limited scope of interest"

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch