[WikiEN-l] The onward march of the meaning of "original research"

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Tue May 2 05:58:11 UTC 2006

On 01/05/06, Pete Bartlett <pcb21 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Over at the Tree of Life wikiproject we like to have people upload photos of
> any species they don't recognise and we try to identify them before dispatching
> them to a suitable article. That hasn't come under threat yet as "original research"
> but I fear it is only a matter of time.

I don't see what's original research about this. The worst that could
happen is that the label (that is, the article it's assigned to)could
be inaccurate - but that could happen to any information contributed
to Wikipedia. If someone later on finds a better image that they're
*sure* is a Four-horned purple-bellied lizard, then they should
replace the doubtful one.

Steve