[WikiEN-l] Verifiability equating to notability

Russell Blackford russellblackford at bigpond.com
Mon May 1 14:08:41 UTC 2006

I find it difficult to set rules in the abstract - all the more so from
being a lawyer by training, with a good knowledge of how slippery language
can get once you try to apply it to an unforeseen situation. Thankfully we
only have policies and guidelines to worry about, not things that are
supposed to be binding laws. I'd agree with you about the Foo case, though.
I would vote to delete such an article unless I saw evidence that other
people with some profile were already commenting on the "Foo" meme (e.g.
op.ed. pieces, editorials, or well-known blogs (but what is "well-known"?).
Without that, I'd consider the article original research. (Put aside whether
there's a dicdef issue; I'm assuming the article could be expanded beyond a
mere definition of "Foo").

In other cases I'm not so sure. What about all those articles on fictional
characters who may not have been discussed much in critical sources? I
wouldn't necessarily want to say that these characters are non-notable, even
though I sometimes think we give too much importance to them and not enough
to real people who are important in the adult world. I think they are
notable because they often just do have a cultural impact that we can all
sort of take judicial notice of without dreaming up novel theories. If we
accept that much, I'm then happy for someone to say: "Sammy Snark gets
killed at the end of the first-series story arc of Blogsville" with a
citation to the actual episode rather than to a secondary source. In this
sort of context, some easily replicable putting together of a narrative
doesn't worry me, and I don't interpret the original research proscription
as covering this kind of thing in spirit. What's your take on this kind of
example?

Russell (a.k.a Metamagician3000)