[WikiEN-l] Captcha word quiz

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 09:29:22 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 3/19/06, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>You need to approach Wikipedia in good faith, and the best way to
>>establish that faith is to browse with Firefox.  It's the choice of Phil
>>Welch, Mark Gallagher, and Willy on Wheels!
>>
>>Firefox!  It's what's for dinner.
>

> A little uncalled for? Especially when you're asking someone to go to
> a significant amount of additional effort to support a feature which
> is probably required by very few people?

Well, hiddenStructure doesn't work on browsers without CSS support
(read: text-only browsers, probably most screen readers, most old
browsers), but certain people still seem to think it's a good idea...

> Now, I'm not clear on whether this Captcha is displayed every time you
> make any contribution, or only when registering an account, but if
> it's the latter, then it seems almost *everyone* could manage to get
> images to display once for the purpose. Blind people aside, of course.

AFAICT it would only be on registering; we've had quite a few sprees of
bot-automated account creation in the past (cf. Supertroll).